American Degree Transfer Program: A comparison

Hey y’all. I’m currently doing the American Degree Transfer Program (ADP) at Taylor’s University Lakeside campus. I am interested in comparing this program in different universities, hopefully get a few ideas for the betterment of the Taylor’s ADP as well. :slight_smile:

To start off basically, Taylors has the basic courses ranging from Engineering to Liberal Arts majors.
Most (if not all) classes taught in classroom setting (similar to many tuition centres, but I think this allows for better discussions in class compared to a hall of 50+ students) of about 10 to 30 people ( depending on subject).

A sports club organizes inter-house games (sort of like harry potter, except you get to choose your own house) including games like futsal, basketball, ultimate frisbee, mahjong, card games, amazing race, etc. during Fall (September) and Spring (January) semesters. Brings majority of ADP students together for a chance to get to know each other better.

We’ve got subjects called MPU’s that are apparently “required” to be taken (but some of the staff say its not necessary, yet to clarify that). MPU stands for mata pelajaran umum, these are subjects like Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia Tenggara, as well as language and community service subjects set by the government to be taken before we graduate from Taylor’s. Do all ADP programs have this?
Student Union in place struggling to get information and messages across to students…(tried Facebook, posters,) Any tips?

I hope this information is useful. Would be very grateful for information from different universities! :smiley:

Thanks @keshav_chandran for opening this topic on American Degree Transfer Programme (ADTP). I’m not an ADTP/ADP student however I know for a fact that ADTP programmes differ in terms of the partner universities these providers have collaborated with. Anyway, I’ve done a bit of desktop research and here’s what I found out, do correct me if I’m wrong:

Taylor’s University :cherry_blossom:
Tuition fees: RM51,165*
Intake dates: Jan, Mar, May, Aug
Transfer arrangements: 2+2 and 1+3* (*in selected universities)
Options to transfer to: Canada and Australia
Fields of Study: Business, Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Science, Mass Communications, Social Sciences & Liberal Arts, Actuarial Science, Psychology
Partner Universities in the Top 200 Times Higher Education Rankings 2015: Columbia University (#14) Carnegie Mellon University (#24), University of Queensland (#65), Monash University (#83), Purdue University (#102)
Other benefits: 2 years programme can be completed in 1 year and 7 months (accelerated pace) and the remainder will be completed in the partner university.

Nilai University :four_leaf_clover:
Tuition fees: RM26,000
Intake dates: Jan, May, October
Transfer arrangements: 2+2
Options to transfer to: None, US only
Fields of Study: Applied Science, Business, Accounting, Finance, Computing, Applied Science, Engineering, Liberal Arts
Partner Universities in the Top 200 Times Higher Education Rankings 2015: Info not available
Other benefits: Maximum 90 credits transfer to a US-based university of your choice

Sunway University :sunflower:
Tuition fees: RM43,000
Intake dates: Jan, Apr, May, Aug
Transfer arrangements: 2+2
Options to transfer to: Australia & NZ, the UK, Canada
Fields of Study: Business Administration, Computer Science, Engineering, Natural Science, Communications & Arts, Aviation
Partner Universities in the Top 200 Times Higher Education Rankings 2015: Johns Hopkins University (#15), Cornell University (#19), New York University (#38), Purdue University (#102), University of Victoria (#173)
Other benefits: Sunway uses almost exact syllabi and course curricular of their partner university so students are guaranteed acceptance through True-Credit Transfer Program

Help University :mushroom:
Tuition fees: RM40,000
Intake dates: Jan, Mar, May, Sep
Transfer arrangements: 2+2 and 1+3
Options to transfer to: Australia & NZ, the UK, Canada
Fields of Study:Actuarial Science, Business, Biosciences, Arts & Design, Computer Science, Engineering, Mass Communication & Psychology
Partner Universities in the Top 200 Times Higher Education Rankings 2015: University of Melbourne (#33), University of Queensland (#65) Monash University (#83) Purdue University (#102), Indiana University (#150) University of Iowa (#175)
Other benefits: Merit scholarships available

INTI Int’l University :blossom:
Tuition fees: RM42,175 (Nilai), RM38,400 (Subang), RM34,730 (Penang)*
Intake dates: Jan, Mar, May, Aug
Transfer arrangements: 2+2, 1+3 and 2.5+1.5
Options to transfer to: Canada
Fields of Study: Business, Computer Science, Engineering, Health & Applied Science, Mass Communications, Biosciences, Actuarial Science, Psychology
Partner Universities in the Top 200 Times Higher Education Rankings 2015: University of Pennsylvania (#16), University of Michigan (#17), Brown University (#54), University of Buffalo (#191)
Other benefits: Merit scholarships, JPA and MARA available

Hi, I would like to study in the US. How is American degree transfer programme different from A-levels? Is it easier to get accepted in a US university?

Hey Sarah,
It is a very different system and platform of learning as well.
Easy example is how A-levels is exam based while ADP is learning (assignment) based. While both programs technically allow for a US transfer, an A-level certificate would be accepted as a foundation certificate in a majority of countries, whereas graduating from a 2-year transfer course might only be credited at certain US, Canadian, Australian and some UK universities.

Students are required to constantly learn while studying (throughout the semester) in ADP as the final exam doesn’t carry as much weight as A-Levels, where students could survive relaxing the year and studying without sleep two weeks before the exams.

ADP is a pretty easy way to get accepted to a US university as the course syllabus is usually adapted from an American college. And it does not have a foundation course, i.e. a student could finish a degree within 4-5 years, whereas taking A-levels rarely is taken into degree credit.

I’d say if you were sure you’d want to study in the US, and you like to study a broad range of subjects (ADP requires taking a few subjects that are not directly related to your major, which to me is pretty cool) then ADP would be the quickest and easiest way to start.
But if you are an exam-oriented student that prefers directed learning where all content is received from lectures kinda thing…then A-levels might be a little more straightforward, though it’d require roughly two extra years of study.

Another option would be to take the SAT exams (similar to SPM level, but only has english, math and logic) and apply directly to a US university. :slight_smile:
Hope my information helps!

Can i know whether the tuition fees is for per year / per semester?

It’s for the whole duration, if I’m not mistaken :grinning: better call them still as the cost may change.

hey guys,

I’m currently doing ADP here in Inti Subang and already applied to US universities. However my whole family is migrating to the United Kingdom and my parents have asked me to try and apply to the UK universities. Just wondering, can we ( ADP students ) apply to UK universities?

Hi, I am from Sunway ADTP. We do have students who transferred to UK. So check out with your University Placement Office.

Hi everyone,

I’m a late starter here. I took my SPM in 2015 and got straight As but I had some personal problems afterwards which deterred me from applying for adtp right after getting out of school. I wanted to know if I still qualify for the program as well as any scholarships as my family cannot afford to pay for my studies. I am determined that ADTP is for me but it’s hard for me to make a clear picture of what I need to do to get there. I want to study biology so that I can branch out to Zoology or Ecology as that has been my personal interest for a while now. Anybody have a clue of what I should do?