Generally, when we talk about college cost the first thing comes in mind is — expensive. However, with a little planning and realising what the expenses are, the cost is manageable.
Application fees average $50 to $75 per school.
Academic entrance examinations will cost you about $100 to $200 per examination, and most students take at least two tests. Assume that you will be spending at least $500 on tests.
How much is tuition?
According to College Board, institutions in the US can charge tuition and fees of $11,550 or less. Here’s a quick summary:
Other expenses to consider:
- Books and study materials will cost $500 to $1,000 per academic year.
- Travel costs to the US vary, but will be between $500 and $2,000. Travel costs within the US will be between $300 and $700.
- Room and Board will cost between $3,000 and $7,500 per academic year. Allow an extra $1,000 to $2,000 for vacation periods when the dormitory might be closed.
- If you will be living off campus, the cost of renting an apartment will be between $300 and $600 a month, but could be substantially higher depending on the location of the school. Meals should cost about $2,500 a year, assuming that you do not eat in restaurants too frequently.
- Clothing will cost $500 or more a year.
- Health insurance will cost $300 to $500 a year for one person, $2,000 to $3,500 for a family.
- Personal expenses will cost about $2,000 a year.
The College Board has created a tool for students to find out how much they’ll need to get into college. Check this College Cost Calculator.