Guidelines to applying US universities

Before applying, start compiling the following documents:-

  1. Cover letter
  2. American Degree Program(ADP) transcript
  3. SPM: Copy of original certificate and English translated version
  4. Form 5: Copy of original report card and English translated version
  5. Form 4: Copy of original report card and English translated version.
  6. PMR: Copy of original certificate and English translated version.
  7. Form 3: Copy of original report card and English translated version.
  8. TOEFL Score result
  9. Dean’s List Letter
  10. Counselor’s evaluation
  11. High School teacher’s recommendation letter(optional but recommended)
  12. School Leaving Certificate(copy of original and English translated)
  13. Testimonials from your high school
  14. High school & ADP profile, if any, for Freshman application.
  15. Passport-biography copy
  16. Financial Documents:
  • Cover letter from the bank/Financial Statement
  • Financial affidavit , if the university requests
  1. Immunization Records
  2. Report of Medical History
  3. International Student Agreement
  4. School profile
  5. TOEFL scores
  6. SAT Score(optional)

Next, students need to take TOEFL iBT. SAT is required for freshman applications, while transfer applications don’t require SAT.

After that, students should apply for a US visa. The earlier the better as there are cases where students didn’t get their visas on time and had to delay their studies.

There are two different types of non-immigrant student visas, the F-1 and M-1 visas.

The F-1 visa is for non-immigrants wanting to go for academic studies and/or language training programs, and the M-1 visa is for non-immigrants wanting to go for non-academic or vocational studies.

Student visas are designated non-immigrant visas because they are issued based on the fact that applicant will not intend to stay in the United States permanently. This means that if students are applying for either an F-1 or M-1 student visa they are telling the United States government that they only wish to remain in the United States for as long as it takes to complete their studies. The U.S. Department of State is the U.S. Government office responsible for issuing student visas. The State Department policy is carried out around the world by U.S. consulates and embassies. For this reason, if students are applying for student visas overseas they will be dealing with a U.S. consulate or embassy in their home country. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the agency with jurisdiction over individuals who apply to change or extend student visa from inside the U.S.

F-1 Visa - Academic Student Visa

The F-1 student visa is for students attending a full-time degree or academic program at a school, college, or university approved by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in compliance with the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). The F-1 student visa is valid for as long as it takes to finish the student’s course of study.

US Immigration

Lastly, students should apply for universities. All universities have different CGPA requirements and TOEFL/SAT requirements. Most good universities require at least a CGPA of 3.0 and TOEFL of 80. Top ones such as Georgia Institute of Technology would require a CGPA of 3.50. Usually, for engineering majors, the CGPA requirements would be higher compared to other majors. Hence, it is harder to enter a good engineering school.

Applications usually cost money. You can either apply directly from the university website or apply on The Common Application.
The Common Application

Also, bear in mind that not all credit hours can be transferred depending on university. It is also advised to keep a document of the Module Information Booklet(MIB).

Grateful and thanks for the information.