Malaysia Student Visa: The Ultimate Guide in Studying in Malaysia

This is a post dedicated to international students who want to study in Malaysia. The topics covered in this post include:
a. Student Visa Requirements.
b. Student Visa Fees.
c. Student Visa FAQs.
d. Student Visa Reminders.

Malaysia Student Visa Requirements include the following:

1. Acceptance Letter from the Institution the student applied for.
  2. Full Copy of the Student’s Passport.
  3. Certified True Copy of Grades in clear copy.
  4. Passport Picture in blue background*.
  5. Pre - Medical Form and Results before and after arriving in Malaysia**.
  6. TOEFL / IELTS Results (if applicable)
  7. No Objection Certificate (NOC) or the Letter of Eligibility (LoE) for Sub - Saharan Countries.***
  8. Single Entry Visa (if applicable).****

*For students that are wearing glasses, it is important you remove your spectacles for the picture. Otherwise, you will be asked to take another photo for your application.

**It is necessary to perform a medical check-up before going to Malaysia to obtain a Single Entry Visa and another medical check - up within 7 days of arrival in Malaysia to process your Student Pass or Student Visa. The clinics and hospitals must be accredited by the Malaysian government. You may refer to the Malaysian embassy in your country as to which clinics and hospitals are accredited.

***Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’ Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equitorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea - Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Togo, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

****Countries that need to secure a Single Entry Visa upon arrival in Malaysia to study: Algeria, Argentina, Austria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bosnia - Herzegovina, Brazil, Cambodia, Cameroon, Chile, China, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Guinea Republic, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Lienchestien, Malta, Mexico, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, Nigeria, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Samoa, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia Montenegro, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, St. Marino, Sweden, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, U.A.E., United Nations, United States, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Western Samoa and Yemen.

Malaysia Student Visa Fees:

Apart from a Single Entry (in which the students have to apply for separately - cost depends on your country of citizenship). The student visa for Malaysia, there is no fixed amount charged for the visa fees. Typically, the student visa fee includes admission fees ranging from 2400 - 3500 ringgit Malaysia (RM), the total amount charged to the student is dependent on the Institution of admission. Here are some universities in Malaysia and their visa fees*:

IUKL - RM 2600 (includes application + visa fee)
APU - RM 2420 (includes application + visa fee)
Limkokwing University - RM 1000 (application fee) + RM 1900 (visa fee)
UNITEN - RM 120 (application fee) + RM 3250 (visa fee)

*updated as of June 15, 2015.

Malaysia Student Visa Frequently Asked Questions:

1. What is the difference between a Single Entry Visa and a Student Pass?

• A Single Entry Visa (SEV) is a stamped document in a student’s passport that allows them to enter Malaysia, it has a validity of thirty (30) days from the date of stamping. Once the student steps in Malaysia, the University will need to process student pass (or commonly termed as student visa), this is a sticker attached in student’s passport and typically, the application for this takes 30 days, inclusive of payment.

2. Does every international student need a student pass to study in Malaysia?

• Yes, it is mandatory per Malaysian law.

3. Can I apply for a student pass by myself?

• Students are required to apply via their University, a student pass has it’s own set of complexities that may cause problems for the students later on.

4. Do I really need to pass the IELTS or TOEFL exams for me to get admitted to a degree program?

• This is dependent on the course or degree program you are interested in.

5. Do I need to go through another medical exam after arriving in Malaysia?

• Yes! It is mandated for international students to complete a medical examination within 7 days from date of entry into Malaysia via accredited clinics and hospitals. Logic being, some countries do not have accredited clinics by the Malaysian government.

6. If I don’t attend the Malaysian medical exam, what will happen?

• Your student visa application will be canceled, and you will have to return to your home country.

7. If my student pass application is rejected, can I get a refund for the application processing fee?

• Unfortunately, no, the processing fees are non-refundable.

8. If I don’t like the institution I was admitted, is it possible to transfer?

• Yes, it is possible. In order for you to make the transfer, you will have to ask your campus a release letter to support your new student pass for the new college / university. The student pass is not transferable from one university to another, from one person to another.

9. When and how can I pay for my student pass application and processing fee?

• Students need to pay to their University. Then the University will be the one processing the visa for the student.

Malaysia Student Visa Reminders:

1. The student’s passport must be valid for at least 24 months (2 years) in order for the Malaysian Immigration to process the student pass or visa.
  2. All pages of the passport (including first and last pages) must be scanned properly. In the event that some passport pages are missing, the application will not process, students need to resubmit the relevant pages with Certified True copy (CTC) stamps with proper reasoning.
  3. All submitted documents must be in clear copies. Otherwise, they will need to be resubmitted for application to proceed.
  4. The Department of Immigration is no longer allowing a conversion of Social Visit Passes to Student Pass (student visa) for new applications. However, students who are already in Malaysia via a valid student pass but changed their visa to a Social Visit Pass, the student must show an exit stamp in their passport page to show that the student is not overstaying in their current pass.

Please share your tips and tricks in this topic. Or if you have any questions, do not hesitate to reply in this post.

2 Likes

hi @sil_silvestre

great info! thanks ya, it’s very useful for me and other foreign student who wish to study in malaysia :sunglasses:

btw, i’m future student in one of private university in malaysia, i come from Turkey :relaxed:

1 Like

hi @sil_silvestre, I heard if I applied for diploma, I will get the visa 2 years?
Is it true? They will charge me more for the visa fee? Pleaseee let me know, I need to prepare for the money to come to Malaysia :smiley:

Hey @excitingextracts I am pretty sure that if your diploma takes even 3 years, your visa would be dependent on how long your diploma or degree needs to finish. It will be the same as if you need to finish your studies in 4 years, then your uni should give you four years visa. And visa fees and processing fees differ per Uni, sad to say it is not standardized.

Hey you are welcome. A lot of students and even foreign workers are having a headache with visa issues and complication, I am glad I could help.

WOW! This is really helpful, but I still have a question… What if you want to study MBA but you are already in Malaysia that time. How to proceed?

Thanks @sil_silvestre, this is really really helpful. :blush:

But I heard the processing time for VISA took ages. Normally, how long will it take before I can get the whole thing done?

Hey Ahmed, it is actually easier since you just need to go to your University of choice, of course, get admitted in it. Then you need to communicate with them your visa concerns. But if you are continuing your Masters in the same Uni, it should be easier since you are already there anyway and probably know the Admin office well.

Actually @socialanalyst, it only takes 30 - 60 days. The Immigration of Malaysia has a partnership with Universities as it is very common for Malaysia to receive international students. Although, I did hear once case from some of the students we have placed that it took more than 60 days because the proper signatories were on leave at that time. But overall, I would say the process is quite smooth.

I’m a student at UKM and the student pass take more than 60 days sometimes,I finished my master (in UKM) and now study PhD also in UKM,for my daughter its take more than 3 months.

1 Like

Hi @asemktb may I know how’s the student environment at UKM? Thanks!

Hi @Lyn the environment is good we have a bank (cimb) post office, cafeteria and hostels also sport stadium and clinic and many more.I will try to upload photo and video next time,

That’s great to hear @asemktb as I’ve heard many positive stories about UKM especially in the recent university rankings. Looking forward to see those photos.

Hi, I am from pakistan is it possible first I take admission university of Malaysia than after few months I may able to apply for visa for Australia

Hi, I am from pakistan is it possible first I take admission university of Malaysia than after few months I may able to apply for visa for Australia… Please kindly help me