Things you should know when staying in Malaysia

The Malaysian ways of living can be a bit overwhelming for a foreigner. It can take a while before you get used to it. I am an international student from The Netherlands who’s currently staying in Malaysia for a six month internship. I myself experienced a so called culture shock when first arriving here. Here are some tips that I would have liked to know, and that would have made things a whole lot easier:

1. Do not be afraid to try public transportation. It is a very cheap and easy way of getting to any destination. When lost, just ask for help. People are more than willing to help you.

2. Do not get deterred of all the little restaurants along the roadside. They might not look very attractive but most of the time they have even better food than the fancy (expensive) restaurants. Either way, please note that Malaysian food is very spicy!

3. Don’t you ever set for the first price when shopping at a local market. You should definitely try to haggle, as most vendors are willing to lower their prices.

Last but not least:

1. Try to enjoy! Malaysia is such a wonderful country, and you should make the best out of your time here.

1 Like